Monday, September 22, 2008

Goldengrove




by Francine Prose

I'd allowed myself to drift into that hushed and watery border zone...

Is an example of the word pictures created by Francine Prose. This is a story of sadness and loss, grief and discovery. A story told in the voice of Nico, the sister left behind.

Nico's family struggles to survive the death of a beloved child. A whimsical, talented and loving girl just beginning to become a woman. The angst and the fear that it could have been prevented if only something were different, or someone had done or not done this or that.

To be honest, this is a story that has been told before, but rarely in such a compelling and beguiling way. I read Goldengrove in one sitting. I had to know how it ended for Nico. It is her story.

2 comments:

  1. i heard a repeat broadcast of Fresh Air (NPR) this morning which featured Francine Prose, talking about this book. now i love Ms Prose's work, hands-down- but this book is a bit of a departure for her..not as snarky!!)-and she admitted it was a tough Write!!..i have not read this book yet..but will..okay?..i don't think it's as cut-and-dried as one would think (i hope not..i hope it makes Me think..duh!)

    i am outta here..good review, Kath

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished/reviewed this, and I echo your "one sitting." I found myself picking this up in between commercials of an SEC football game, which is unheard of for me! :)

    ReplyDelete