Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sarah's Key



by Tatiana de Rosnay



This is the Story of Sarah, a little girl who even when terrified herself, looks to protect her little brother.
Sarah was taken away from her home, and then from her parents when French police gathered Jewish families, to send them to their deaths simply for who they were.

This is the story of neighbors betraying neighbors. People who closed their hearts to the people they had known for years, for the reward of some cash in hand and perhaps their own safety.

This is a story of love and compassion. Heros in every day life who took it upon themselves to save little children. Particularly one family who took one such child to their hearts and into their family.

Sarah's Key tells the story of Julia. A woman who comes into her own when she too, stands up for a child and saves a life. It reminds us how fragile life is, and how many ways our own lives are entangled with the lives of others. It begins in 1942 in France, and ends more than sixty years later . It is a story of horror and death, It is a story of love and life and joy.

I was invested in the characters from page one. By the time I closed this book, they were friends that I will miss, but will visit again. I will recommend this book to others, many others. This is a book that I will give as a gift, share with my children and friends.

Tatiana de Rosnay has a way with words that is rarely found these days. Mere words become a story well told, and told with a delicate touch. I look forward to whatever she offers us next, and thank her for this tale well told.

3 comments:

  1. My heart broke when I read about neighbors betraying neighbors and refusing to make eye contact with this young girl.

    Tatiana de Rosnay has opened up a lot of eyes with her novel.

    I interviewed her on my blog, if you'd like to read it here:
    http://www.sheistoofondofbooks.com/2008/10/21/interview-with-tatiana-de-rosnay-author-of-sarahs-key/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked this book up while on a 3 hour delay at an airport. Before my flight left I was abourt 2/3 through with it. I know it has to be good writing for me to get this into a book this quickly.

    This is a fascinating, intermingling tale of a woman's struggles in her own marriage, her passion for the past; and a great lesson in some unknown history of WW II.

    ReplyDelete