Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters


This is my favorite of Sarah Waters books. Having said that I admit to loving them all. This should not be considered simply lesbian fiction. It is a love story.

It has compelling and believable characters, but so do all of waters books. It draws you in and makes you a part of the story. Waters holds nothing back. All of her emotion is poured into her books, enriching and filling out her characters . We have all been Nancy..all known a Kitty. I could not put this book down.

From her fathers seaside restaurant where she worked shucking oysters, to music halls, to political demonstrations This is a story of Nancy's life and loves, her coming of age and the often difficult road to her destiny. I dampened it with my tears...I read it all over again. After sharing seven years of her life, I just could not walk away from Nan.

An exceptional read. An author not to be taken likely...


I also recommend the DVD. Fantastic!